Second half surge lifts Lady Hawks past Beloit

Second half surge lifts Lady Hawks past Beloit

By Chuck Tidmore

Sports Information Assistant 


MONTGOMERY, Ala. – The Huntingdon women's lacrosse team used a second half run to defeat Beloit 12-8 on Wednesday.

Trailing 7-4 with 21:16 left in the game, the Lady Hawks used an 8-1 run to improve to 4-4 this season.

Briana Gress scored her first goal of the game with 20:27 left to bring Huntingdon within two goals before Lonnitria Keenan scored to tie the game 10 minutes later. Shannen O'Leary scored an unassisted goal to give Huntingdon the lead with 9:44 remaining.

The Lady Hawks scored three more goals before O'Leary netted her 100th career goal to close out the scoring for Huntingdon with 1:38 remaining. O'Leary became the second Lady Hawk to score their 100th career goal this season. Jen Price scored her 100th goal in Sunday's loss to Greensboro.

Freshman Ariana Kelty scored the game's first goal with an assist from O'Leary, 9:39 into the first half. Beloit (1-4) tied the game over four minutes later but Huntingdon answered back with goals by Bridget Lee and O'Leary.

The Buccaneers closed out the first half with three unanswered goals and entered halftime leading 4-3.

Beloit opened the second half with a 3-1 run to take a 7-4 lead before Huntingdon made its comeback.

O'Leary finished the game with three goals and two assists while Keenan added two goals and one assist.

Price scored once while recording and had one assist, four ground balls, three caused turnovers and four draw controls.  

Gress, Lee and Kelty each scored twice. Jade Paul recorded five ground balls and had three caused turnover while Victoria Krupa caused three turnovers.

Goalie Katie Bianco finished with three saves, three ground balls and allowed eight goals in Wednesday's win.

The Lady Hawks return to action on Tuesday when they host Illinois Tech at 3 p.m. at Samford Stadium.


Be sure to follow Huntingdon College on the following social media platforms: Twitter Facebook Instagram